Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Playing Catch Up!

Well, I'm finally back in the blogosphere! I was starting to have severe withdrawals! Luckily, it appears that blogging goes on without me so I've already spied on all of you! Haha! I would like to make this a cutesy, creative post, but I'll be lucky to get all the highlights of the past week in here...so nothing fancy!

Friday August 15...
We decided to clean up the house and leave on Friday instead of Saturday. We thought we would drive to the lake house and have a nice relaxing evening before our adventure began...wrong. We found out while we were still South of Troy that the lake house was occupied. But we decided to keep on trucking anyway and made it past Atlanta and spent the night in a hotel there. Other than that, day one was uneventful.

Saturday August 16...
This was our big day of driving. We drove over 500 miles to get to Richmond with a plan to see Grammy while we were there. The boys did great in the car. We even found a cool park to play at in the afternoon while we were looking for a potty break. When we were about an hour away from Richmond we got a phone call from Aunt Laura...Fran had to go to the hospital! She was bleeding from somewhere but they didn't know where from. It turns out she had a bleeding ulcer. She was able to go home on Tuesday afternoon but she's still pretty tired. So, unfortunately we had another change of plans that day. We visited Grammy in the hospital, then I took the boys to McDonald's for dinner and to the hotel. Ed stayed with his mom and sister for awhile so we didn't get to see much of him, Grammy or Laura in Richmond. :-(

Sunday August 17...
(Get ready for another day of being flexible) Today we visited Fran again before we left for MD. It was an easy 2 hour drive from Richmond and we went to Ms. Jean's house first to have lunch with her. She has a beautiful house right on the Potomac River! Its gorgeous! We had a nice visit (except that the dogs didn't get along with her terrier) and loaded up again to go check into the Navy Lodge...here's where it gets fun...they had a reservation for us...in OCTOBER! We ended up going back to Jean's for a precarious night of trying not to get in the way. Everything worked out in the end but Ed was certainly getting stressed about the situation.

Monday August 18...
Monday my tasks were to work on finding a pet friendly hotel to go to and get Nolen registered for Kindergarten!!! I found the Super 8 Motel for us and the pets. It leaves something to be desired but we can handle it for the next few days. Its clean enough even though its a small room. As far as registering Nolen for school...I made such an effort to get his physical taken care of in AL but I FORGOT to hold onto his birth certificate! It is totally packed on the moving truck! As I was lying awake worrying about it, I remembered that Ft. Rucker Primary School made a copy of it last year when he was enrolled in Pre-K. Lucky for me, they STILL HAD HIS RECORDS! They faxed everything I needed up to Leonardtown Elementary and we were all set! Hooray! After that, we drove around and looked at our new house, found a park to play at for a bit, found Target (why does it feel like a relief to find Target? Knowing it is here isn't really the same as finding it. haha) and went back to Jean's to have dinner with her and pack up.

Tuesday August 19...
A settled, boring day...finally! Laundry, got some food for the hotel room, ran some errands, and went to Nolen's open house!!! The school was rebuilt last year and its brand new! The kids don't have cubbies, but rather they share lockers! How cute is that? His teacher, Ms. Murray, is very young and so is the para in the class. I tried hard to point out all of the things in the classroom that I knew Nolen would like...computers, little clocks for learning to tell time, pretend money and books. I think he is going to have a good time there. The class is more open than his previous classrooms and his teacher seems really great! I can't wait to hear what he has to say when he comes home tomorrow afternoon!

After the open house we had dinner at the house we'll be buying! That was a lot of fun. They are a wonderful family and the house, while small, is very nice! I'm so excited to get moved in! I kept joking last night that their kids, 9 year old Donovan, and 6 year old Hannah can stay with us. They are such sweet kids! Today Hannah and Max walked to the bus stop holding hands!

I'll update more later! Hope everyone is doing well. We miss ya'll in Alabama!!!

3 comments:

THE WADE FAMILY said...

Yea....you made it there safely! Sounds like there were a few bumps in the road but nothing that you guys didn't handle like pros! So how long are you at the hotel before moving into the house or the Navy Lodge...are you there until October when your reservation is? We missed you at Katie's baby shower but she showed us your presents - ADORABLE! You really are so crafty! I'm behind in blogging but Abbers has gotten a bit of the crud and passed it along to me. I'd rather read people's pages and then go to bed than post our own. But tomorrow's a school day for her and a work day for me...work at home so that'll be nice - and quiet! ;-) Have a great week! BW

briy said...

aww... that's so cute. Max likes older girls.

Also, thanks for making me think I was nuts about not seeing this blog entry. :)

I love you! Did you mention on what day you'll actually be able to move in, and I just didn't see it? Also, Nolen's school starts Monday? So does mine!

Katie said...

So glad ya'll made it there safely and mostly as planned. Keep us posted.