Sunday, May 3, 2009

Memories of Birthdays Past...

I like to try to remember all of Nolen's past birthdays....some are easy, others are not!

First Birthday - Sadly, I really don't remember this one very well. I know we had a Blues Clues party and I know Nolen had about 2 teeth and a messy cake face but I don't really remember it at all...

Second Birthday - The thing I remember most from this one is that Edward was in Iraq so I was working hard to make his birthday -- a weekday - a fun day even though it would mostly be the three of us sitting at home all day. I know I was looking forward to play group that afternoon which happened to fall on Nolen's bday. First thing in the morning, Nolen didn't seem too interested in opening the mound of presents I had stacked on the kitchen table and by 10am I found out why. He was sick. The poor kid threw up on his birthday! Needless to say we didn't get to go to playgroup and Nolen wasn't excited about any of his presents because he wasn't feeling well. Poor kid!!! What a disappointing bday!

Third Birthday - I know we had a great party for him (probably Thomas) with all of his friends! I remember that when he opened his presents, he kept saying, "oooooo...wow!" It was very sweet.

Fourth Birthday - We had a great group of friends show up to his party at Lake Thlocco at Fort Rucker. The kids played at the beach and the playground, we had a water balloon toss or fight...I can't remember and I made a treasure map with a box full of the goody bags for the little pirates to find. The kids had a great time and the fun ended just in time because as Nolen was finishing unwrapping his presents, it started to rain and by the time we got home it was pouring! Good timing!

Fifth Birthday - Nolen's only boy friend when he turned five was Austin. He wasn't really friends with any of the boys at his new preschool and all the other kids we knew were girls. I decided not to throw a whole party for him and we would just have a little dinner. Unfortunately, Austin was going to be out of town for Nolen's bday and Edward was gone to a job interview (here in MD) that week. We managed to pull off dinner with Austin who made it back to town early and I made Nolen a killer Mario cake! I'm sure I was more disappointed with the small celebration than Nolen was!

So there is the birthday recap. I think this year rates pretty high on the scale. I love the birthdays that are spent with lots of friends and this one certainly fits the bill! Thanks so much to everyone who was able to come and help Nolen celebrate yesterday! We love our friends!

No comments: