Friday, September 12, 2008

Nolen's Night Out!

Last night was really exciting for me AND Nolen (and Max too). Open house at Leonardtown Elementary was a blast! Since Nolen still says that he, "doesn't like Kindergarten because its too long," I decided to try to make open house extraordinary for him. He was my star last night! First, I let him choose where we went to eat for dinner. He had McDonald's, pizza or hamburger joint to choose from and of course, he chose pizza. We went to Arizona Pizza Co. which is just down the road from our house. It was really pretty inside and the pizza was good too. I think there was a tie for the highlight between the TV at our table (Nolen informed me he wanted to watch a cooking show, I'm not sure why) and the fire in the brick oven that cooked our pizza. He had so much fun that he literally couldn't sit still while he was eating.


After dinner we headed to the school. The staff did an amazing job with the open house. While the kids watched a movie in the cafeteria, the parents attended a short, introductory PTA meeting. The woman who spoke (the president of PTA) is so great that I want to volunteer for every program and I want her to be my friend. Ha! I get so excited about school stuff anyway because I loved school so much, but LES really impressed me. I can't wait to get involved and meet some other parents and staff around the school. I hope Edward stays here for the next six years, because the kids and I are about to become attached!
The school building is brand new this year. Each kid has a locker instead of a coat hook, and the classrooms and bright and airy. Nolen and Max always end up playing with the blocks, games, pretend money and pretend clocks when we go school. There is also a rug where they have circle time, a reading corner, a listening center, and a few classroom computers.

I love Nolen's teacher. She is young, sweet, motivated and recognizes that my child is a genius! Just kidding. But she did make a point to tell me last night that Nolen is reading (which I knew) and that she has several readers and is looking forward to forming small reading groups so that she can assess each child's reading level.

As a bonus, let me pass along some intell that Nolen shared with me at dinner last night. He says that "4" doesn't have a middle number, but "5" does. "3" is the middle of "5". But, he also told me that half of "4" is "2". He went on to tell me about "9" and "10" as well. I told him, that any number that has as he calls it a "middle number", is called "odd", and numbers that can be split in half are called "even". How cute is that? I think he got my math brain! OK, are you sick of hearing about my kid yet? hehe
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

Why didn't I think of putting small TV's at the tables in restaurants? Brilliant I tell you, especially for those of us with toddlers!!!!