Saturday, April 5, 2008

Character Development

So, it turns out, I am just a big softy. We had a really nice, lazy, rainy day just hanging out at home today. For dinner, Ed and I made Thai Curry Chicken and we made a nice meal of regular chicken, zucchini and rice for the boys. Ed even made it look so cute on their plates with the rice formed in circles and stuff. The boys weren't doing a good job of eating and Nolen in particular was not listening. After going back and forth a few times, take a bite, I don't want to...he was sent to time out. When he came back he started in again...by the way, both boys did a good bit of chewing food up for an interminable amount of time which is really annoying...Anyway Edward finally pulled out the big guns. He told Nolen that he could go sit on his bed with no toys for the rest of night. My jaw dropped. I said, "you can't enforce that." Ed said, "oh yes I can."

My heart was broken. I REMEMBER that feeling of sitting in your room SO upset and wanting to come out and make up with mom and dad, but not wanting to eat crow or do what you were supposed to do. What a horrible feeling that kind of crying makes in your gut. I felt terrible for him and after such a nice day too. I just kept telling myself that kids need this kind of tough love. It develops character right? And I AM one of those moms who professes to be so tough on her kids...but I think I'm getting soft.

After about 10 minutes I went in and asked if he was ready to come eat. He started telling me that he doesn't like it. So I left. I went in about 5 minutes later and he said he was ready to come eat. He did eat all of his chicken without complaining but he still didn't eat his zucchini. I think we're done with this one for the night. Unfortunately, I think the strawberry milkshakes are going to have to wait until another night. And Amy, I am REALLY jealous of your kids' love of zucchini!

By the way, through all of this Max (who I suspect is a clowny, show-offy, peacemaker) just kept getting cuter and cuter. He wasn't doing the best job of eating, but he WAS having a good attitude about it and he ate his food in a more timely manner than Nolen. Although I did take his fork away at one point because he was doing more playing than eating. But by the end of dinner he was being the cutest he could possibly be. What a ham.

2 comments:

Edward said...

Nolen should have stayed in his room the first time :)

THE WADE FAMILY said...

When you guys find out how to get kids to listen, could you let us know? We're particularly interested in getting one certain child not to take her food off her plate and throw it on the floor. If you could pass that tid bit of info along we'd love you forever!!!! ;-) Ha ha ha!