Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Nice Afternoon

Today was full of ups and downs...I'll concentrate on the ups!

This morning was much nicer than usual...neither kid complained about going to school today...they both ate a huge breakfast, put on their shoes and got in the van without a word. As a result, we showed up EARLY for the first time! The kids can be dropped off between 7:50 and 8:10...we're usually on the 8:10 side but this morning I had to stall a little bit and we were there at 7:50! Woo-hoo!

After Jazzercise and a quick trip (alone) to Wal-Mart, I picked up the kids and we had a chill afternoon. Nolen played his share of Super Paper Mario and Max watched intently. I picked up the house a bit and relaxed. I love this age and that there are two of them!

We left around 3 to take Ed some clothes at Fort Rucker so he could go bowling tonight. Then we went to a park and the kids played. They spent most of their time throwing "rocks" into the lake. They weren't actually rocks, just hard little balls of red clay. Whatever works. We took the kite with us but since I was lazy and took them to Beaver Lake instead of Lake Tholocco, there wasn't NEARLY enough wind to get it flying. (This irritated me for some reason - oh well)

Next stop, the Commissary...we just had about 20 things to pick up. It turns out, April is the month of the Military child! Who knew?? AND some saint arranged for there to be IN STORE child care at the Commissary FOR THE WHOLE MONTH!!!! What a wonderful treat for Momma!!! The kids ran in, were given a snack, a Hamburger Helper hand puppet, they got to draw on the (paper that lined the) walls...and had a great time! The thing I want to know is...how did someone EVER get that approved??? I want that all the time...I would PAY for it! I would pay for it at the PFC and I would work harder to teach Jazzercise there if they had childcare at the PFC. I even told the ladies who were there that I would have really loved that service while my husband was deployed. Although, truth be told, they were mostly too little while he was gone - but still, lots of moms would LOVE to have that! Its better than respite care at the CDC because its all in one place. Anyway, that really made my day. I guess wonderful things CAN get approved in the Army...I wonder who had to sell their soul to the devil to get it done?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! That's a really nice thing they did at the Commissary. I wonder if they do that here. I usually don't take all three on post here unless we're heading to the doctor or something like that. But if they had childcare, I would definitely go. It's the one chore I just hate! Taking all 3 shopping is a real pain.

Sounds like you guys had a fun day! It's so nice now that the boys are close together. Even if they do get on each other's nerves, it's so great when they play together. Not needing constant attention from Mommy sure is nice. Am I supposed to say that? :)

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

I'm sure Picerne had something to do with this. April is Resident Appreciation Month and they are doing all kinds of things to keep residents on base. Everyone is leaving b/c BAH went up and they are losing big $$$$. This is a really cool idea though- maybe they will continue to do it, maybe like twice a month or something!