Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Take a Chill Pill...But Check the Ingredients First

I should be doing other things this morning while both boys are preschool and I have some time to myself...but I wanted to share this.

I love watching the Today show, its the perfect mix of politics (enough talking points to get me through), natural disaster stories (its terrible but we will all pay attention to a story about a flood, fire or tornado), headline news (good morning, Matt, good morning everybody, in the news this morning good morning...), and celebrity gossip (Britney) to get my day started. Anyway, today, they did a story on BPA in plastic bottles. The tape piece suggested that there is BPA in baby bottles, Nalgene bottles and the like but that it probably isn't dangerous at the levels we are consuming. THEN they managed to find a doctor (note: it was not their usual "medical correspondant") who would come on and report that we should never use clear plastics that are labeled with a number 7 on the bottom...Nalgenes and baby bottles. I thought this was odd. I looked this up on Nalgene's website and there is information about BPA but they insist that a litany of scientific, environmental and governmental agencies have deemed it safe in this country and in Europe. I do believe them, but really why should I? I'm still going to believe them anyway...too much a pain not to.

Then I continued searching for a more independent information source and found the "Enviroblog". Which from now on will be referred to as "The Devil's Blog". Not really, but for crying out loud!!! If one was to take the advice of this hypochondriac blog, you would probably have to live a glass (not plastic) bubble with filtered air, and you could eat only the crops that you raised in your bubble by yourself in your irradiated soil and watered with filtered water. No fertilizers either. I even managed to find this comment on a post about phthalate exposure.

"Thank you for this most valuable info/warning... I've long supected that modern chemicals contribute to feminizing of so many young males... and I wonder about the effects on young girls too. I also wonder how much this influences gender confusion and sexual preferences, especially considering the gay/lesbian population explosion! Then I must wonder (lol)... what could have influenced me to be such a rough & tumble "tom boy"(born in 1959)... and could we expose the feminine boys to that, to balance them out and bring them back to "normal"? (Hypothetically speaking of course)."



I think I feel a good blog contest coming on...oh yeah...here it is! I think the readers of this blog would believe anything! What is the most ridiculous story you can come up with?? White gold contains toxic levels of analese-sulphate? Take off your jewelry! The materials they use to manufacture CDs and DVDs gives off a toxic gas when you expose them to snot...no more handling DVDs for the kids. LCD screens of our digital cameras will make you go blind. Turn it off! Turn it off! Video games will make your kids smarter than you are! Turn it off! Turn it off! (That is a while other post...yesterday I was trying to play Super Paper Mario with the boys and they were yelling at me, "flip, flip, you're running out of time..you have to be Peach to jump up there, go that way, no that way...give me the controller Mom.)

OK, now I'm just rambling...time for a shower and maybe I'll still have time for one errand before the kids get home and make me play video games on the TV that is going to make me blind, and hopefully they won't touch the games with their snotty hands because we all know the noxious gases that can be released!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hilarious and scary at the same time. Impressive use of "litany". That's not an every day word (at least not for me). And I like to pretend that the things I use every day can never harm me. So I will live in my little pretend safe bubble.

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

Too funny! And antibacterial soap actually causes more infections!

Did you hear that nail polish causes a rare form of toe cancer? Maybe I'll get lucky and my toes will fall off so I can buy normal size shoes! ;)

Nothing is safe anymore- nothing!

Oh by the way, I'd be happy to go to the lake and play around in the kayak if you want.