Friday, May 2, 2008

Tomorrow my boy will be 5!

I can hardly believe it that 5 years ago today I had no children (except the one in my belly). A Saturday with the hubby consisted of a lot of TLC (The Learning Channel, not Tender Lovin' Care), a lot of laziness and some school work/flight school studying. Well, a lot has changed! Just yesterday, Edward and I found ourselves ALONE after dinner. That NEVER happens. After dinner is usually the time when the boys go nuts but not last night. We are so lucky to have these boys. They have changed our lives in so many ways. Like, I don't take my time alone for granted anymore. Now, when the boys are both at school on Wednesday mornings...I panic because I can't decide what to do with my precious three and a half hours! But enough mushy stuff.

Some quick reflections about Nolen's birth before I crash on the couch...
1. Nolen was born right after the Kentucky Derby started on May 3rd 2003. Since May 3rd falls on a Saturday again this year, we'll be watching the Derby on his birthday this year. OK, actually I'll Tivo it because I'm pretty sure Nolen will spend most of tomorrow playing Mario Kart.
2. I loved giving birth to the boys...I was terrified to take Nolen home (Ed will vouch for me) but I love remembering that day and how I felt so in control (even if I wasn't and Ed can vouch for that too!!!).
3. As Nolen turns 5, I couldn't be prouder of the boy he is so far. He can read, sound out words, add numbers, figure out which toys he can afford at the store, draw, write, kick some Wii butt (don't tell him I said that), he usually makes good choices and he is almost always good to his little brother. When he is happy he smiles at me and wants to hug me. When he is excited he yells and does funny things with his hands. He likes to sing "Low" by Flo Rida and when I let him stay up late with me after Max has gone to bed, he is extra sweet because he knows he is running on borrowed time. He thinks the word F-box is hilarious and he calls Sour Cream and Onion potato chips, Trash chips. He loves pizza, "line" spaghetti, PB&J, and McDonald's. He used to suck his thumb but he doesn't anymore. He loves Wii more than anything (which can drive me crazy). He loves going to the lake and playing in the water but he can't swim yet. He still doesn't like water in his eyes but he might be getting better. You know the line in Jerry McGuire where he says, "You complete me."? That's how I feel about my two boys...sorry, my three boys. I love you too Edward!

And now, its time to go watch, "The Soup". Look for Bday pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Archive